Jack Saturday

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Anti-Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 403-405

For most men [sic] life is a search for the proper manila envelope in which to get themselves filed. Clifton Fadiman










The third role of the penal system: to make the proletariat see the non-proletarianized people as marginal, dangerous, immoral, a menace to society as a whole, the dregs of the population, trash, the mob. For the bourgeoisie it is a matter of imposing on the proletariat by means of penal legislation, of prisons, but also of newspapers, of “literature,” certain allegedly universal moral categories, which function as an ideological barrier between them and the non-proletarianized people. All the literary, journalistic, medical, sociological and anthropological rhetoric about criminals... play this role.
Michel Foucault


I don’t pay my love to a country for my freedom; instead, I give my hatred to the country that takes away any part of my freedom.
Dan Dillinham,
Letters, Harper’s,
April, 1992

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home