Jack Saturday

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Anti-Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 414-416

For my part, I’ve always liked late starters. … I like to meet the man who at the age of fifty-three says he doesn’t quite know what he is to be in life. I have a hunch that the boy of seven who knows just what he wants to be may be an inferior, who will have a conservative attitude to life later on.
A.S. Neill,
Neill, Neill, Orange Peel




"Individuals have international duties which transcend the national obligations of obedience. Therefore [individual citizens] have the duty to violate domestic laws to prevent crimes against peace and humanity from occurring" --Nuremberg War Crime Tribunal, 1950





The central idea I absorbed then, chiefly, not exclusively, from feminism, is that each of us a right to choose the life we lead; and we must fight to exercise that right against all comers.
Michael Ignatieff

3 Comments:

  • Jack,

    Vonnegut never delivered the speech in question. You are the victim of an urban legend:

    http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/dubiousquotes/a/vonnegut.htm

    D Mills
    State College PA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 PM  

  • Thanks, D Mills, for the correction. As you can see, I've replaced the "Vonnegut" quotation with one by A.S.Neill which I mined myself. Worth it to know I have a reader at State College PA--if indeed I do (-:

    By Blogger Jack Saturday, at 8:48 AM  

  • Jack,

    You're welcome. You do indeed have a reader in State College, someone who, as it so happens, has less idea what to do with his life at 37 than he did at 17 - and who is also far happier than he was 20 years ago. Along those lines, the A.S. Neill quote is spot-on.

    D Mills
    State College PA

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home